The Design Assistants primary responsibility is to facilitate the development process of private label product. This role works in support of the designer to design and source product appropriate to the Free People target customer.
- Support seasonal development calendar in partnership with designer/buyers/technical designers/production
- Execute specific design development projects as assigned by the designer
- Prepare development packages and participate in all communication and follow up related to each package in partnership with the Design Coordinator. Responsible for updating category styles in web PDM.
- Manage development and execution of trim and artwork packages.
- Set up spec sheets for all bodies. Communicate fit and construction details to Technical Design department. Complete all technical sketches for domestic and overseas programs.
- Maintain an active role in the weekly Design Flow Meeting. Take notes and follow up on all outstanding issues.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with partners in Merchandising, Production, and Free People Design
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment
- Ability to respond to business objectives with creative, innovative, and cost-effective design solutions
- Expert-level technical knowledge of woven/knit apparel construction
- Expert-level knowledge of fabric and trims as well as strong relationships with resources
- Extensive knowledge of fabric treatments as well as wash and dye techniques
- Extensive knowledge of woven manufacturing techniques and processes
- Ability to research and report on industry trend direction, color direction, and fabric innovations approximately 9-12 months ahead of season
- Ability to recognize and accurately forecast fashion and cultural trends as they relate to the Free People target customer
- Ability to sketch or to communicate design ideas via computer program.
- Ability to clearly communicate to overseas vendors.
About Free People
Founded in 1984, Free People (www.FreePeople.com) is a women’s fashion label that operates wholesale, retail, and direct-to-consumer businesses. The retail and wholesale presence encompasses over 75 stores in the United States as well as three wholesale showrooms whose teams have cultivated relationships with over 1,400 specialty boutiques and department stores across the globe. In addition, we produce a direct-to-consumer catalog and website, providing an inspiring shopping experience for the carefree, confident, and curious young woman who appreciates our distinctive assortment of apparel and accessories.