You’ll join our McKinsey Design team in Tokyo as part of McKinsey Digital. You’ll be working closely with design managers, product owners, and business strategists.
Our Digital practice drives client growth by delivering breakthrough physical and digital products, customer experiences and design-led innovation.
Our approach is multi-disciplinary, combining out-of-the-box creativity with the analytical rigor of McKinsey to innovate at scale and speed across private, public and social sectors.
Our highly-skilled, cross-functional team of designers, business strategists, and agile developers deliver service concepts, experiential prototypes and go-to-market products to transform clients’ businesses.
Our Design team offers the breadth and experiences of 350+ world-class design talent from LunarDesign, Veryday and McKinsey’s homegrown experience design practice.
At McKinsey Digital, we bring a diverse community of designers and innovators passionate about getting in the midst of our customers and elevating design capabilities to the forefront of business decisions, impact and results.
Our team culture is casual and social, with an emphasis on knowledge building and innovation. We have the freedom to experiment, work iteratively, and are constantly learning and growing.
Our community emphasizes the importance of mentorship, collaboration and propelling the value of good design.
You will work on a variety of projects that integrate digital designs into products, services and environments.
You will be part of a blended cross-functional team and tackle all aspects of the design process. Moving from insights to ideas, you will creatively solve complex problems, threading design and business thinking together to deliver inventive, durable and thoughtful solutions from concept to launch.
In this role, you will need to apply conceptual thinking to create desirable and feasible digital solutions across multiple platforms, smartly bringing together user needs, business goals and technical realities.
You’ll utilize industry design standards and best practices to define and implement design criteria. You’ll apply user centered design methodologies to ensure your ideas are based on customer needs and you’ll prepare research and testing, produce personas, map customer journeys and develop service blueprints for complex products and services.
Additionally, you’ll effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design and design rationale both verbally and visually.
You’ll use a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g. storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, etc.) You’ll use your narration and storytelling skills to bring product ideas to life and you’ll construct quick interactive prototypes with initial, low fidelity visual designs that illustrate your UX / UI design that present a realistic feel of the intended experience.
You’ll also participate in workshops, concept sprints and hackathons to inject design thinking tools and methodologies to produce tangible results in a rapid and iterative way.
You’ll work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented, and you’ll communicate the product’s vision to clients and customers.
You will have exciting career prospects within an international company that is still considered a start-up, yet was created by a trusted advisor of some of the most influential organizations in the world.
You will work on challenging tasks in an innovative state-of-the-art technological environment in small teams of highly motivated colleagues with various cultural backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, Interface Design, Human Computer Interaction, Service Design, (Graphic) Design or equivalent qualification
- 2-5 years relevant industry experience designing applications, experiences, websites, products and services that balance user needs, business objectives and technological constraints
- Ability to conduct user research through interviews, analysis, surveys, usability tests, etc. to develop key findings into design tools such as journeys and storyboards
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team including user researchers, product owners, agile coaches, developers, and strategists
- Holistic and human-centered approach to product and service design, from research and insight generation to concept to deliverable
- Interaction and visual design skills including use of a diverse set of software such as Adobe CS, Sketch, OmniGraffle as well as good experience with MS Office
- Ability to design experiences and interfaces from product vision grounded in user research
- Proven ability as a solid hands-on practitioner demonstrated through a diverse body of work
- Able to function, adapt and succeed in a constantly changing, fast-paced environment
- Positive attitude and motivation to deliver the highest quality of work
- Entrepreneurial, experimental and self-driven while also being collaborative with a professional presence
- Self-organized and structured with the ability to define your own tasks
- Native level Japanese language (both verbal and written) and conversational fluency in English