At Away, Digital Product Designers are ambassadors of the company’s human-centered design values in the execution of our digital experiences. At this level, the Designer will craft digital solutions, owning the design process from ideation through launch. In doing so, they will articulate the UX perspective and justify their choices in cross-functional settings. Within the Digital Team, they are accountable for the identification and delivery of the necessary design output. Across the company, they facilitate relationships with stakeholders and collaborators in order to understand their needs and priorities, while upholding our standards for crafting optimal experiences.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- Develop straightforward design approaches to complex design problems while maintaining a human-centered perspective
- Think strategically for long-term impact while understanding and accounting for technical and business constraints.
- Ensure the company’s brand is accurately and consistently reflected in every design deliverable
- Create wireframes, user flows, and mockups to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Deliver functional prototypes for user testing
- Effectively communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale to cross-functional stakeholders
- Collaborate with project managers and other relevant business owners throughout the product life cycle
- Work closely with the engineering team to ensure proper implementation and quality software launches
- Participate in agile methodology for product development, and apply this mindset to all aspects of your work
- 2+ years of experience bringing digital products to life, ideally for consumer-facing companies
- A solid portfolio of product work that can speak to both your UX process and visual design skills
- Ability to pitch, educate, and define your design rationale to key stakeholders—you can articulate the ‘why’ and lead discussions around your process, explorations, and conclusions
- Ability to translate stakeholder goals, user research, and complex task-based flows into clean, usable UI
- Solid and up-to-date knowledge of best practices, developments and trends in web and native mobile design
- Extensive knowledge of working in and collaborating with design software like Figma or Sketch and interaction prototyping tools like Principle, Origami, or Framer
- Humility and objectivity—you encourage design feedback and are eager to incorporate new ideas into your next iteration (while being able to let go of ideas you might be attached to)
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.