Global Online Academy (GOA) seeks an Instructional Designer to support a core organizational function: providing high-quality online learning experiences to students and educators. In this position, the instructional designer will primarily collaborate with and guide course development teams through design projects for our Student Program and is responsible for the development of course content in Canvas LMS.
The Instructional Designer reports to the Director of Learning and Design and collaborates with the entire GOA team to ensure our courses are consistent in design and aligned in the user experience and user interface. While curriculum planning and development are not a core part of this role, we are eager to meet candidates who have experience with and expertise in designing for learner-centered pedagogy.
Who you are
- You understand the impact good design can have on learning. You know how to make design choices that reflect empathy for the learner and align with learning outcomes.
- You love working with technology. You are fluent in core instructional design approaches and philosophies and know how to apply them to a variety of platforms and digital tools.
- You are a great communicator. You know how to transform complex ideas and technical language into clear, concise, and user-friendly communications and resources.
- You are a project manager. You have a strong work ethic and are accustomed to working on a deadline and creating your own deadlines, pacing your own work to complete deliverables on time and of high quality. You know how to juggle multiple projects at one time.
- You understand and advocate for learner-centered design. You are passionate about prioritizing accessibility, usability, and design to promote equitable outcomes for all learners. You know how to examine and evaluate your designs from a variety of learner perspectives.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity. You are intellectually curious and have a strong sense of agency. You are comfortable not always having or knowing the answers.
- You are a great collaborator and team member. You enlist your problem-solving and communications skills, sprinkling in your high EQ and fun personality, to build strong relationships. You know the importance of leveraging divergent viewpoints for the improvement of our collective work. You hold your colleagues accountable, and you are receptive and humble when they hold you accountable.
- You are a lifelong learner. You have a growth mindset and you pick up new ideas quickly and think critically. You are intellectually curious and deeply committed to learning and growing.
- Collaborate with course development teams to develop new or revised Student Program term-long or year-long courses.
- Act as a champion of our course design process and contribute to efforts to continuously improve this process.
- Build GOA courses in our learning management system, Canvas, using CidiLabs Design Tools.
- Design and develop supporting course materials (toolkits, handouts, infographics, instructional videos).
- Advise faculty on accessibility and usability best practices.
- Contribute to the development and facilitation of training for GOA staff and faculty on Canvas and CidiLabs.
- At least 2 years of instructional design experience in education.
- Familiarity with principles of user experience and user interface design.
- Fluency in Canvas LMS (knowledge of CidiLabs Design Tools is a plus, but not required) and HTML/CSS.
- Experience developing courses in competency-based, project-based, and other learner-centered modes.
- Experience with industry-standard development tools (i.e., Adobe Creative Suite, Camtasia, Articulate 360)
- Experience with client/faculty-facing work in addition to back-end design work.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders towards shared goals, preferably in a global environment.
- Superb written and oral communication.
- Instructional video production experience is a plus, but not required.
About Global Online Academy (GOA)
In 2017, Global Online Academy (GOA) adopted a new mission: GOA reimagines learning to empower students and educators to thrive in a globally networked society.
- We deepen learning through courses that equip students with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to be successful in high school, college, career, and life.
- We coach teachers to think differently about how they design student learning experiences.
- We work with educational leaders to ensure they have the strategies and tools to lead innovation and change.
GOA is dedicated to innovation in teaching and learning. Our staff culture resembles that of a startup: we experiment, we thrive on feedback, we move quickly, and we believe in close collaboration. GOA began as a consortium of independent schools, however, we now work with independent, international, and public schools.
We welcome applications from those with diverse experiences and with backgrounds in independent, international, and/or public schools. GOA supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.