The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a dynamic Multimedia Designer excited to bring to life the work and stories of the free knowledge movement. The Multimedia Designer will play a critical role in supporting the Brand Studio in connecting global audiences and lifting up the narrative of the future of free knowledge in the world.
This is a highly collaborative role for a conceptual creative, with regular opportunities to create dynamic, resonant work that communicates our big picture thinking for key initiatives and campaigns. This role will work in close partnership with peers and colleagues in the Brand Studio, Communications team, across the Wikimedia Foundation, volunteer community members, organizational partners, movement leaders, and other figures working in partnership toward Wikimedia’s mission of free knowledge for all.
If you are someone who sees the most inanimate objects come to life in vibrant and interesting ways, if you like to tell stories with dynamic type, doodle interesting characters and make them move to communicate things to big audiences — if you hear about a problem and often want to solve it with interactive and compelling representations of a brand and its work… We’re looking at you.
This role will work with people in UTC-7 to UTC+02:00, candidates should sit within these time zones.
- Use Computer Programs to create Animation, Audio, Video, and Visual Effects
- Perform edits based on feedback from stakeholders
- Conduct research to create accurate animations
- Manage creative projects and their stakeholders from brief through to final execution
- Collaborate with other creatives in the studio to conceptualize a strong idea against the limitations of a brief
- Collaborate with external service providers on videography, motion graphics, and user experiences.
- Storyboard and map scamps for initial review
- Use active listening to fine-tune the work to meet the needs of stakeholders
- Assist with additional design needs within the Brand Studio
Skills and Experience
- Be an adaptive and detail-oriented creative with an interest in understanding, supporting, and expanding the creative work of the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia Foundation,
- Strong research skills
- The ability to meet deadlines and excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment that often requires fast turn‐around
- Experience in developing and maintaining systems and documentation for projects with multiple moving parts and stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing multiple projects at once, an interest in both independent and collaborative work
- A commitment to the Wikimedia Foundation’s free knowledge mission
- The ability to flourish in a highly collaborative environment and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics
- Advanced knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Premiere Pro)
- Basic understanding of backend structure of WordPress themes (PHP)
- Basic understanding and experience with git (Github or similar)
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards
Qualities Important to Us
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
We’d Love If…
- You can ideate and write in two or more languages
- You currently live and work outside of the United States
- You are a writer with a diverse lived experience.
- You have experience with Mediawiki markup
- You have experience with user interface design and interaction design
- 3-5 Years as a multimedia designer in a creative studio or as a freelancer
- A video reel demonstrating your skills
- Examples of two projects with details on your process in developing them.
- Your CV/Resume
About Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.