The BetterLesson Engineering Team is composed of highly skilled software developers, visionary UI designers, and experienced product managers that together form a world-class software development team. Our small team is committed to DEI practices and we infuse these values into every piece of software we create.
The platform we have built is used to deliver some of the best culturally responsive teaching and learning content, amongst many amazing student-centered strategies. We have created an environment where our coaches thrive during their collaboration with our teachers, and our teachers are just as delighted to engage in their professional development with us.
As a member of this team, your technical contributions will have an immediate impact on the mission of the company and the professional growth of teachers across the country.
- Designing, building, and maintaining full stack, web applications within our product portfolio
- Support effective software delivery as a champion of Agile methodologies
- Ensure creation of high-quality products through creation, refinement, and administration of standards, patterns, and processes
- Foster a culture of growth by sharing knowledge and best practices with your peers
We commonly work with these technologies
- React JS, TypeScript
- Python, Flask
- HTML 5
- Cloud based IaaS and PaaS
- Infrastructure as Code
- Cloud-based data lake platform services
- Formal Computer Science training, through either:
- a college degree in Computer Science or an equivalent degree, or
- a combination of coding bootcamp experience and 2+ years of training on the job, or
- 3+ years of training on the job
- You apply an owners’ mindset to your craft by taking accountability for results
- You have advanced experience building software systems composed of multiple technologies, services, and components
- You have experience collaborating with product leadership and/or customers to create technical solution designs and implementation roadmaps
- You have expert knowledge in one or more frameworks or programming languages
- You have built multiple small to medium or at least one large scale customer-facing web application(s) using a variety of user interface technologies
- You have led solution design reviews for full stack systems
- You have served as a mentor, team/tech leader, or manager to other engineers
We can offer you
- the opportunity to work with an awesome team to solve important problems
- a competitive salary
- health and other employee benefits
- equity in the business you are helping to build
- a flexible schedule and vacation policy
- the opportunity to spend every day working to improve outcomes for teachers and students
BetterLesson empowers K-12 teachers to build a modern classroom: learner-centered, culturally responsive and personalized. Instead of the conventional one-size-fits-all professional development format for educators, BetterLesson supports teachers in a way that’s personalized and continuous — using a mix of remote 1:1 coaching, remote team coaching, remote workshops, and in-person workshops, all supported by the BetterLesson Lab software. We match each teacher with a world-class coach and then leverage our technology to suggest customized teaching strategies, measure impact on student learning, and improve teaching practice continuously through rapid iteration. This process leads to off-the-charts teacher love (our data shows teachers love BetterLesson more than Apple users love their iPhones), high administrator engagement, and, most importantly, dramatic teacher and student growth.
We are a growing team of teaching practice geeks, educational opportunity devotees, and product development specialists who are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as reflected in and supported by our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Continuum. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a shared passion to transform professional learning for educators at scale and a sense of urgency to achieve this vision on behalf of students.
BetterLesson is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and value the inclusion of diverse perspectives of our team in support of our work with students and partners. We are deeply committed to providing equitable access and lifting up different voices inside and outside of the organization. We enthusiastically invite individuals of all backgrounds, including people of all races, colors, religions, sexes, pregnancy statuses (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origins, ages, marital statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, non-disqualifying physical or mental disabilities, and/or any other characteristics unrelated to merit, to apply. At BetterLesson, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. All candidates should have the experience, competence, and enthusiasm to dive into our highly dynamic organization headfirst and rapidly solve complex, exciting, and interconnected problems. We offer a unique opportunity to join a small team and make a massive impact on our education system.