The Software Engineer will develop, build, and deploy highly scalable code for various products to accelerate APDS’s position as the transformative provider of digital education and programming services for justice-involved individuals. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Technology, this person will work closely with other software engineers to enhance our Agile/Scrum practices.
The Software Engineer will ensure the timely delivery along with a scalable robust architecture to deliver a best-in-class programmatic platform resulting in significant growth and traction of our solution in Departments of Corrections, Jails, Parole, Probation, and alternatives to incarceration across the country.
As APDS is growing, we are looking for an experienced technical leader who will roll up their sleeves and achieve the following outcomes:
1. Build great software resulting in a robust enterprise platform that is scalable, stable, performant, and provides the best user experience
2. Architect for the future that results in an easily scalable and flexible platform that provides the best user experience to the people that we serve
3. Work with developers to maintain good coding practices that result in good code quality and lowers the number of bugs in production and ensures that our overall platform is efficient
- Build great software within our agile/scrum practices and be an integral part of the team
- Create and iterate over solution architecture to ensure scalability and performance while avoiding over-engineering, and high operational overhead
- Continue to build upon our existing CI/CD framework to automate manual repetitive tasks
- Collaborate within the team that enhances our agile/scrum practices
- Mentor other developers to ensure that our practices are adhered to and we’re delivering sound, quality software that is delivered to our customers in a timely manner
- Collaborate deeply with Product, Sales, Business Development, and Support teams to transform the vision and requirements into scalable solutions
- Embrace a data-first approach to solutions that augment our ability to generate deep, insightful insights for the end-users that we serve
- 6+ years of hands-on development experience building and managing an ecosystem of web applications
- Experience with Java and other open-source frameworks (Spring, Spring MVC, Spring Boot, etc..) and working in AWS
- Demonstrated experience using CI/CD tools and frameworks (Jenkins, Git, Gradle / Maven, JUnit, SonarQube, Ansible, AWS CodeDeploy, etc..)
- Proven track record of being able to integrate with 3rd parties (data integration leveraging JMS, or other messaging systems), ability to configure SSO using OAuth, SAML, and other authentication/authorization protocols, and build web applications with security in mind
- Developed REST web services, APIs, and applications leveraging the technologies listed above
- Demonstrated ability to understand databases, data architecture, and able to write SQL statements
- Demonstrated experience delivering complex solutions to production with strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment that is rapidly changing
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
- Belief in APDS’s mission to reduce recidivism and improve the life chances of incarcerated learners and returning citizens
Location and Travel
- New York City or remote
- Travel: 4-6 times per year (post-COVID). Additional travel may be required for applicants outside of NYC
Salary and Benefits
ADPS offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.
About American Prison Data Systems (APDS)
American Prison Data Systems (APDS) is Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a certified B-Corporation that provides educational software and technology to correctional facilities across the country. There are more than 2 million people incarcerated and more than 4.5 million paroled in the U.S. APDS provides tablet-based education solutions for incarcerated learners and returning citizens in order to create better outcomes through individualized education, rehabilitation, and reentry programming to prepare them for successful reentry to society. Investments in correctional education improve outcomes, reduce recidivism, and make correctional facilities safer for both staff and those who are incarcerated. APDS’s business model is to never charge incarcerated individuals or their friends and families for its technology or services. Our products and services are deployed in over 90 facilities across 17 states and growing.
Learn more at www.apdscorporate.com