Circulate all forms of value to unleash the potential in all people
"What can I do to help society thrive with the finite resources we have?" The Mercari marketplace app was born in 2013 out of this thought by our founder Shintaro Yamada as he traveled the world. We believe that by circulating all forms of value, not just physical things and money, we can create opportunities for anyone to realize their dreams and contribute to society and the people around them. Mercari aims to use technology to connect people all over the world and create a world where anyone can unleash their potential.For more information about Mercari Group’s mission, see Mercari's Culture Doc.
Equal Opportunity Hiring
Here at Mercari, we work to realize a world in which no one’s potential is limited by their background and everyone has the opportunity to freely create value.
We also firmly believe that a mindset of Inclusion & Diversity is essential for us to achieve our mission.This, of course, extends to our hiring practices as well. Mercari is committed to eliminating discrimination based on age, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, physical disability, and other such factors so that anyone who shares our mission and values can join us, regardless of their background.
For more details, please read our I&D statement.
Team’s Mission / Work Responsibilities
The Generative AI/LLM Team’s mission:
To maximize the impact of Mercari’s business and dramatically enhance productivity across the company through the application of generative AI/LLM technologies in our products
(Learn more about Mercari's mission and values .)
Specific work responsibilities include the following:
- Developing the application of generative AI/LLM technologies in Mercari Group’s services
- Creating tools to enhance productivity across Mercari Group’s companies and the teams within
- Selecting technologies for generative AI/LLM services and designing architecture for applications
- Staying up-to-date with the latest generative AI/LLM technologies and making external presentations
Unique and Bold Challenges
- In this position, you will be able to leverage Mercari Group’s vast amounts of information to create products used by a large number of people.
- You will have opportunities to design and implement applications of cutting-edge generative AI/LLM technologies for services used by tens of millions of people.
- Share belief in the mission and values of Mercari Group and its various companies
- iOS development using Swift
- Android development using Kotlin
- Experience in releasing and managing a commercial application on either iOS or Android.
- Ability to proactively drive the project along while appropriately communicating with the rest of the team
- Interest in Machine Learning
- Passion for the products and technologies
- Experience developing Applications for both iOS and Android
- Project management or team leadership experience
- Experience in developing generative AI or LLM related products
- Experience working in English
- Has leadership ability, flexibility, and time management skills
- Proactively learns new technologies and puts them into practice
- Thinks about what’s best for the product and how they can provide the most value through technology
- Sees diverse changes as opportunities for constant improvement and development
- Is able to consistently come up with ideas for improvement and act upon them
- (See this page for details.)
Key Points for Technical Assignments
- Capable of developing production level mobile application
- English: Independent (CEFR - B2) /Japanese: Independent (CEFR - B2)
About the Company
Mercari is a Japan-based company with the mission of “creating value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy & sell.” Having continuously worked toward this goal since our founding in 2013, we are now transforming from a startup into a global player. While this transformation brings its own specific set of challenges, we believe that solving them one after another will allow us to fully achieve our mission. Are you interested in working together to take on these exciting challenges?
Mercari’s culture has been central to the company since our founding, with the three core values of Go Bold, All for One, and Be a Pro. In addition, the “Trust & Openness” value was introduced to embody our culture of mutual trust, where information remains transparent and rules are kept to a minimum. Regardless of how big Mercari gets, our culture is essential to achieving our mission and will be promoted throughout our organization.
- Probationary period: First 3 months after joining the company. (During this period your contract conditions will be the same as that of a permanent employee.)
- Smoking is prohibited within our offices
- Mercari has introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote. *Exceptions made for certain kinds of work.
- Full flextime (no “core time” or “flex time”)
*Does not apply to all positions
- Two days off per week (as well as national holidays, New Year's break, etc.)
- Paid leave, congratulatory and bereavement leave, relax days, sick leave
- Annual salary paid in 12 monthly installments (including fixed overtime allowance)
- Based on skills, experience, and abilities
- Reviewed twice a year
- Complete health and social insurance
- Incentive program
- Support systems, including those that benefit the employee’s family members
*See this page for details.