Circulate all forms of value to unleash the potential in all people
"What can I do to help society thrive with the finite resources we have?" The Mercari marketplace app was born in 2013 out of this thought by our founder Shintaro Yamada as he traveled the world. We believe that by circulating all forms of value, not just physical things and money, we can create opportunities for anyone to realize their dreams and contribute to society and the people around them. Mercari aims to use technology to connect people all over the world and create a world where anyone can unleash their potential.For more information about Mercari Group’s mission, see Mercari's culture doc.
Equal Opportunity Hiring
Here at Mercari, we work to realize a world in which no one’s potential is limited by their background and everyone has the opportunity to freely create value. We also firmly believe that a mindset of Inclusion & Diversity is essential for us to achieve our mission.
This, of course, extends to our hiring practices as well. Mercari is committed to eliminating discrimination based on age, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, physical disability, and other such factors so that anyone who shares our mission and values can join us, regardless of their background. For more details, please read our I&D statement.
- Platform engineers for machine learning/search systems develop the functions and services of the marketplace app Mercari through the development and maintenance of infrastructure and platforms. Mercari is actively applying machine learning/search technology to provide a more convenient, safer, and more enjoyable marketplace. Machine learning/search platform engineers use the cloud and Kubernetes to operate and improve machine learning/search systems.
Unique and Bold Challenges
- Develop libraries and frameworks to improve the availability of machine learning/search systems
- Improve the existing machine learning/search infrastructure and leverage industry-leading best practices to help the AI/search team operate
- Disseminate the best practices of machine learning/search engine operation, improve the development process, and improve the skills of engineers
- Develop and improve monitoring and logging systems for the evaluation of machine learning models/search experiments
- Collaborate with other teams to develop large-scale infrastructure
- Operating a web system
- Over 5 years of software development experience and over 3 years of Java, Python or Golang development experience
- End-to-end backend system development experience
- Basic knowledge and skills related to security, basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills related to RDBMS, SQL, network, Linux, monitoring system, logging, and operation
- Communication skills to carry out projects in collaboration with multiple teams and stakeholders
- Developing and operating large-scale distributed systems (Kubernetes, Hadoop, etc.)
- Functional development and bug fixing skills necessary to improve system performance and reliability
- Using container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Using the cloud (AWS, GCP, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Microservice development and operation experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Using one or both of the following:
- Machine learning: TensorFlow Serving, TensorFlow Lite, ONNX
- Search: Elasticsearch, Solr or other OSS search engines
- English: Independent (CEFR - B2)
- Japanese: Basic (CEFR - A2) Preferred
*For details about CEFR, see here
About the Company
Mercari is a Japan-based company with the mission of “creating value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy & sell.” Having continuously worked toward this goal since our founding in 2013, we are now transforming from a startup into a global player. While this transformation brings its own specific set of challenges, we believe that solving them one after another will allow us to fully achieve our mission. Are you interested in working together to take on these exciting challenges?
Mercari’s culture has been central to the company since our founding, with the three core values of Go Bold, All for One, and Be a Pro. In addition, the “Trust & Openness” value was introduced to embody our culture of mutual trust, where information remains transparent and rules are kept to a minimum. Regardless of how big Mercari gets, our culture is essential to achieving our mission and will be promoted throughout our organization.
- Probationary period: First 3 months after joining the company. (During this period your contract conditions will be the same as that of a permanent employee.)
- Smoking is prohibited within our offices
- Mercari has introduced a work style policy called “.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote. *Exceptions made for certain kinds of work.
- Full flextime (no “core time” or “flex time”)
*Does not apply to all positions
- Two days off per week (as well as national holidays, New Year's break, etc.)
- Paid leave, congratulatory and bereavement leave, relax days, sick leave
- Annual salary paid in 12 monthly installments (including fixed overtime allowance)
- Based on skills, experience, and abilities
- Reviewed twice a year
- Complete health and social insurance
- Incentive program
- Support systems, including those that benefit the employee’s family members
*See this page for details.