The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer account growth, we have a number of exciting new offerings to launch to customers. We’re looking for an exceptional person to help us continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers.
Our ideal data scientist would be an individual who loves to get to the bottom of complex problems, using novel techniques and visualisations to derive meaning and insight from data in a collaborative, community-based environment. We operate a highly agile development approach, where you will collaborate closely with developers, product managers, and customers in teams across the globe to apply cutting-edge tools and techniques from conventional statistics, operational research, and machine learning.
- Design and develop optimisation models and trading strategies for the Japanese power markets, from proof-of-concept through to production
- Work with our global team of data scientists to define data science best practices and engage with colleagues to share information, grow skills, and provide feedback.
- Derive valuable insights from large volumes of data relating to power delivery, market performance, and renewable technologies
- Develop novel algorithms for managing energy assets
- Use visualisations and storytelling with data to disseminate insights across the organisation
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different professional specialities to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues
- Experience with some key components of a conventional data science toolchain: notebooks, Python, pandas, numpy, et al
- Experience deriving insights from data in a curious, observation-driven manner
- An interest in storytelling with data, and a desire to explain and craft a clear message from findings
- A solid understanding of the fundamentals of data science practices
- In depth industry experience in software development & design
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- An interest in working with data, both processing and analysing
- A proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
It Would Be Great If You Had
- Familiarity with machine learning and/or operational research (optimisation) techniques
- Knowledge of the power industry, or an interest in physical/electrical engineering
- Experience with formal statistical procedures: linear modelling, hypothesis testing, bayesian methods;
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud providers
- Experience analysing large volumes of data
About the Company
We're on a mission to make a big green dent in the universe by building a truly sustainable energy system globally.
That means making power greener, smarter, and more affordable for everyone.
We put customers at the heart of everything we do: with always-fair prices, transparency, and outrageous customer service.
We drive system change: with transformative tech to make renewable energy the norm and end global reliance on fossil fuels.
Octopus Energy Group is made up of 10 businesses spanning 6 countries across 3 continents, including Octopus Energy Retail, Kraken Technologies, Octopus Energy Generation, Kraken Flex, Octopus Electric Vehicles, and the Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
Why Else You'll Love It Here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits