Oku Japan is a Kyoto-based tour operator and destination management company (DMC) focused on adventure travel. We do more than create tours – we create memories of a lifetime by creating people-to-people connections. Our international team is bound together by a deep passion for and a strong knowledge of traditional Japanese culture.
We create small-group guided, self-guided, walking, cultural, and special interest tours of Japan. Our tours place an emphasis on travel off the beaten track, and combining must see places with hidden gems. Our tours and our team reflect our support for sustainable and community-based tourism.
Thanks to the return of travel, we have jobs available for the role of Designer and Digital Coordinator.
Job responsibilities of Designer and Digital Coordinator include but are not limited to the following:
- Learning our trip destinations, products and customers and becoming the main designer for all visual communication material, such as websites, maps, itineraries, handbooks, etc.
- Working closely together with the digital marketing team to create compelling advertisement campaigns
- Creating mockup designs for custom-built software-solutions and websites
- Understanding data from UX analysis tools to optimise user interfaces
- Creating social media content and helping with social media strategies
- Shooting and editing photos for communication materials
- Building a visual language that ensures potential and existing customers to book our tours and come again and again
- Communicating closely with our marketing and digital teams and other stakeholders to share your ideas while ensuring the delivery of high-quality designs
- Contributing to marketing initiatives including writing blog posts, contributing to documentation
- Working and fully available 9-6 Monday – Friday. Additional hours may be necessary to achieve your goals and complete your work.
- Occasionally, domestic or international travel may be required
- Japan travel experience, preferably to diverse nature destinations
- You have a passion for active and adventure travel with experience and knowledge of the destinations and activities we offer.
- Experience in design or creative roles where you have demonstrated your ability to understand customer needs, propose creative solutions, overcome objections and create designs.
- Outstanding design and problem-solving skills.
- An understanding of design thinking and how to apply it.
- Able to multitask, prioritise and establish deadlines to ensure competing objectives are met.
- Interpersonal and team skills which enable you to build great relationships internally and externally.
- Highly confident, competent and articulate individual who can communicate professionally across all levels.
- Able to work under pressure, motivated to achieve targets and demonstrate a positive attitude, and who follows through.
- Candidates looking to grow and develop a career with us over the medium to long term
- Learning orientated
- Resilient and flexible
- People who care
- Good listeners
- A hands-on individual willing to go the extra mile for customers, colleagues and the business.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud (Indesign, Illustrator, Lightroom, Photoshop, XD, Premiere, After Effects), Microsoft Office, and online tools such as Slack, Gmail, Googledocs, and Dropbox
- Do you have additional skills you can bring to the table? Tell us about them!
- We strongly encourage fluent Spanish and Italian speakers to apply
- Must be fluent in English
- Must have permission to work in Japan
*Please note we are not always able to reply to unsuccessful candidates on initial application
About the Company
Oku Japan operates guided, self-guided and custom tours around Japan. Our main office is in Kyoto, and some of our sales staff are based in the UK. In spring 2015, Oku Japan opened a branch office in the village of Chikatsuyu, where we are proud to be part of the local community. In 2019, we also opened a Our Nakasendo Branch in the famed Juku town of Tsumago along the Nakasendo trail.