Summary/Objective: Responsible for project management during the implementation phase of new products under the direction of the engineering manager.
- Responsible for all aspects of project management on assigned new products from the design phase until release for sale.
- Understand the scope of the project from product marketing and engineering management to identify the critical elements of a successful project launch & completion.
- Use project management software tools to set up the project and modifications to the template to accurately describe each particular project including tasks, team, and timing.
- Work with the design engineer on design progress making sure input from Signal Integrity, EMI, thermal, and manufacturing engineers is received before releasing the design.
- Oversee the product development phase by understanding the component bill of material, manufacturing process, and product qualification assembly requirements. Manage the critical path to production of qualification requirements.
- Oversee first article inspections for components and assemblies.
- Oversee design verification and full qualification testing for new products. Gather appropriate resources to address any test failures or needed troubleshooting in the qualification process.
- Work with manufacturing engineers to debug tooling, address problems, and complete pre-production runs.
- Ensure timely completion of the appropriate release documentation for each project and route for approval. Also, conduct a release meeting with engineering, sales, marketing, pricing, and purchasing to smooth the transition from non-released to released product.Track time to market on individual projects and look for opportunities to both reduce implementation time and improve quality.
- Any other job related duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
“The responsibilities as defined are intended to serve as a general guideline for this position. Associates may be asked to perform additional tasks depending on strengths and capabilities”
- 5+ Years’ Experience in the Product Development Lifecycle, NPI, and Project Management.
- Must have a working knowledge of customer application of products including mechanical, thermal / soldering, and electrical performance criteria.
- Understanding of dimensional, mechanical, thermal, and electrical test results and have knowledge of the equipment and processes used to obtain these results to provide input on decisions regarding product re-design and acceptability.
- Can evaluate and provide direction to CAD for drawings.
- Have knowledge of raw materials, their specifications, and method of manufacture to suggest and implement changes and understand the approximate performance of components with regard to mechanical, thermal, and electrical criteria as raw material changes.
- Have a working knowledge of assembly processes and can evaluate the effect of the process on the relevant project.
- Problem solving skills is a must.
- Needs to be organized and an effective communicator.
- Needs a working knowledge of injection mold, metal stamping, electro-plating, machine, pcb manufacture, board processing, and assembly tooling and processes.
- Must have good personal computer skills – knowledge in Word, Excel, Outlook, & PowerPoint Required. AutoCAD and SolidWorks preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
About the Company
Founded in 1976, Samtec is a privately held, $1 billion global manufacturer of a broad line of electronic interconnect solutions, including High-Speed Board-to-Board, High-Speed Cables, Mid-Board and Panel Optics, Precision RF, Flexible Stacking, and Micro/Rugged components and cables. Samtec Technology Centers are dedicated to developing and advancing technologies, strategies and products to optimize both the performance and cost of a system from the bare die to an interface 100 meters away, and all interconnect points in between. With 40+ international locations and products sold in more than 125 different countries, Samtec’s global presence enables its unmatched customer service.
SAMTEC, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating a diverse environment. All employment decisions at Samtec are based in business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, pregnancy or parental status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity/expression, marital status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable laws.